Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Miss Jekyll and Hyde

Tuesday was not a good day.

It all started in the wee hours of the morning (1 am to be exact) when Kara woke up and didn't want to go back to bed. She didn't want to be held or rocked. She didn't want to nurse. She didn't even want to play.
She only wanted to cry and after a few hours of that, so did I...

We finally got her to sleep by 4:30 am (yes, Daddy got up around 3 am to help) and I crawled back in bed praying that Ryan would decide to sleep in...thankfully I got a good 4 hours sleep.

Kara woke up feeling worse and I spent the rest of the day trying to ease her pain.

We went through several teethers...

They were just a temporary relief just like the baby orajel and Tylenol.

Look at those tears! break my heart...

By dinnertime, I don't know who cried harder. Ok, that answer is easy...Kara always wins!

Click on photo to see her bottom teeth.


After giving her an ice cube in her Baby Safe Feeder, she finally calmed down enough to try out a new sippy cup. She liked it for about 30 seconds before starting to cry once again. :(

So I did what any other mommy who is about to lose her mind from listening to a screaming baby all day would do....text her husband to come home immediately!

As soon as Chris arrived home, I handed over Cranky Kara and went for a walk. The fresh air was great to clear my mind and relax a little. I came back to the house ready for Round 58 with a crying baby, but also with a mission to relieve her teething pain for good. I've had several people tell me about a new natural remedy called teething tablets. I was a little skeptical at first but after experiencing a day like this, I knew they were worth a try.

I loaded Ryan into the car and off we went to Babies R Us to purchase these...

I don't know how they work, but they work! Within 30 minutes, she actually started to smile and went to bed without fussing. Then a miracle happened. She slept 10 hours straight and woke up this morning happy!

so Wednesday was a good day!



9 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh bless you Bobbi! I can't even imagine how frustrating that situation must have been!

What are teething tablets? That sounds fabulous, I'm making a very large mental note about these!

deb@virginia blue said...

I wish I had known about those when my kids were teething!!!

Her Wednesday pictures are precious...so happy for BOTH of you that she's feeling better =)

Nana said...

Yay!!!! I hope today is a good one too.

Green Mountain Living said...

I'm so glad you posted this I've never heard of them either. I'm definitely going to try them on Emma. That's amazing.

Lori-ann said...

Man, those tablets never worked on my boys. I'm glad that they seemed to help! I think you had incredibly patience for such a hard day. Why do those kids hate sleep and fight it so much? They are so much happier when they're well rested and you're like, "DUH! Can't you tell you feel better when you SLEEP?"

Yeah...

I feel your pain...

Helene said...

Bobbi Jo, you are so clever!! As I was reading this, I was thinking I need to tell you about the Hyland's teething tablets...it's like a miracle pill, I swear! So I smiled when I read further and saw that you did try it and that you had success!! I'm so happy they worked for Kara...it's so sad to see our little ones in so much pain and not be able to do anything about it.

When my LO's were teething, I'd give them a cocktail of teething tablets, Motrin and orajel and that would usually get them through the night!!

Hope those teeth pop through soon so she can get a little break (and you too!)

BTW, I've been meaning to e-mail you about the speech therapy! I'll do that tonight!

Jenni said...

Okay I loved this blog. It was so creatively written and soooo funny too. You are such a great writer!

Man okay you win. Your little teether is much worse than mine. LOL

I love those teething tablets. And upon your suggestion, I did send Will to the store during my last 2 piano lessons and he picked up some!! We had been out of those for a while. I'm excited to try them tonight. BOY and I excited. :)

Those last two photos of Kara - she is a beauty!!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Bless you, my friend. I have never, ever heard of these tablets, but will be seeking them out first thing tomorrow morning. They very well may be the miracle cure I am looking for.

-Francesca

PS: Although my husband has not read this post (yet), he is also grateful. :)

Pinning in Pumps said...

I can't say that Kailey has gotten as bad as Kara, but there are moments when I put her to bed and out of nowhere she wakes up just sobbing.. almost like she's afraid, but she's not. I feed her, snuggle with her and she calms down and then goes to bed. I'm sure it could be part of the teething, but she hasn't gotten to your "kara zone" yet. I'm glad I read your blog about it though, just in case. :)

Kailey is driving me batty with her crawling. I got exhausted from running around catching her today and needed that time away for a few minutes you spoke of.

Hang in there!